Thursday, April 2, 2009

Cause for Alarm


Springtime in SE Texas brings volatile weather. We have the rich moisture (100% humidity that can make you feel like you are walking into a wet blanket) that collides with cool weather fronts from up north. In the photo I took today you can see the result. An angry, indigo colored storm that appeared faster than The Weather Service can issue a warning to kiss your ass goodbye. Lucky for us, this fast moving storm had only lightning and bursts of rain. It is an hour later and I am looking at blue sky. But come to think of it, I recall pretty blue skys right after the tornados beat us into submission. I do not have a long fear list, but at the top is tornados. I think it is due to my personal education of growing up in a trailer on the flat plains of Texas and watching that giant barrel down on you. When I was 8 years old I asked my Daddy if he would build me a storm cellar for my birthday. He said no, the water table would fill it with water. I told him I had no problem standing in water to wait out a tornado vacuming the ground above us. Made sense to me. Have a good springtime weekend!

No comments: